A blog for those walking away from a life of sex work and for
the families of those not fortunate enough to walk away.


Sunday, April 7, 2013

Complex Post Traumatic Disorder and Healing for Sex Workers

Finally, the study of Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, defined as trauma that is repeated over a period of time, is including sex workers. This recent post by the the US Department of Veterans Affairs includes "prostitution brothels" in its list of traumatic situations.

I'm a child of the Vietnam era and I've long watched my Vietnam Veteran brothers in recovery struggle with their recovery from PTSD. I've also maintained, and hoped I haven't offended them, that working in the sex industry in any country can be as traumatic as battle. The enemy is different but the results are profoundly similar: A lifetime of fear, distrust and misplaced anger.

I've also been thinking in the past few years as so many veterans return from the Gulf Wars, especially female veterans, that recovering sex workers and veterans have much in common in their healing from PTSD. These are simply my thoughts this beautiful morning.

We are cancelling our monthly meetings to go to an on-line format since most of our calls come from outside the Phoenix area. Stay tuned for more updates.

4 comments:

  1. This blog is ridiculous. I am a sex worker and I am completely happy with my line of work. I am not a victim. This job has allowed me to pursue so many avenues that I, otherwise, could not afford. I now have a Bachelor's Degree (and graduated Manga Cum Laude) from a great university. I've been in the industry since I was 18 and there has never been a time where I felt victimized. Every job has it's negative attributes. You can work in retail and get abused, too. You cannot generalize all sex work and say it's bad and that people need to get out. There is a huge difference between sexual exploitation and sex work. One is consensual and one is not. As simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in your place with your attitude at your age. At the time it was perfectly fine. But now that I have been out if it for some years now...you start to develop and notice that you have issues with men and sex in your personal life. I've learned to deal with my issues on my own and for the most part have healthy relationships. But eventually what used to be ok...turns into something far from it later on down the line. I'm not preaching or predicting. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

      Delete
    2. I was in your place with your attitude at your age. At the time it was perfectly fine. But now that I have been out if it for some years now...you start to develop and notice that you have issues with men and sex in your personal life. I've learned to deal with my issues on my own and for the most part have healthy relationships. But eventually what used to be ok...turns into something far from it later on down the line. I'm not preaching or predicting. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

      Delete
  2. As I have said repeatedly, this blog takes no stance whether prostitution is right or wrong. I only work with people and their families who want to exit the industry. If it's working for you, more power to you. To say that the blog is "ridiculous" is a sweeping generalization. I think you're probably better than that.

    ReplyDelete