A blog for those walking away from a life of sex work and for
the families of those not fortunate enough to walk away.


Saturday, April 28, 2012

Ecuadorian Refugees Turn to Prositution to Survive

About a decade ago, I spent two weeks in Ecuador. Back then, American Airlines offered getaway packages that included hotel and flights. My traveling companion, Claudia, who spoke excellent Spanish, and I stayed in a hotel near the red-light district in Quito.

Each night at dusk she and I walked from our hotel to the nearby restaurants and directly through the red-light district. As young men in small cars circled the block, honking their horns and yelling out car windows at the women, the gals who worked the streets would greet us politely as we strolled by.

One night a little later than usual we walked by and the parade was thick and decidedly fever-pitched. One carload of men began yelling at Claudia and me. Several of the sex workers yelled to the men in that car in Spanish, "You leave the senoritas alone!" Claudia and I felt such a strong allegiance and bond with these nameless women who were watching out for their U.S. "sisters." 

Today, I read that prostitution is getting worse in Ecuador. Read the link to learn how Colombian women fleeing violence in their homeland are forced into sex work to survive.

So often we look at sex work as a choice that women make. I can tell you this, no little girl wakes up one morning and says, "I think I'll sell my body." 

We must remember that for the majority of the millions of women engaged in the industry worldwide, they have few choices. We have a voice and it is our responsibility to use it for social justice for all.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2012/04/24/ecuador-refugee-women-and-girls-turning-to-sex-work/

No comments:

Post a Comment